Friday, May 9, 2014

Train ride to the Boro

Friends, I hear you; "what were you thinking" but after a multitude of trips on China's extensive railroad I had to try USA style.  No matter what you think a train ride is so much more relaxing and economical for a single rider. Yes it may take 2.5 hours longer by train but when was the last time you had nothing to do for 7 hours.  For the Orlando to Savannah trip the Amtrak makes a lot of sense.  There were many on the train going from the Northeast to the greater Miami area but I would not suggest this. 

My adventure started on the SunRail test days so it took 90 minutes to clear Orlando with me starting in Kissimmee.  Lesson 1 start on the north side of Orlando if you can.  Sunrail and freight trains seem to have the right away over Amtrak.  Once north of Sanford we almost got up to speed when we seemingly pulled over to allow a freight train pass right before went over the St. John river.  Then we took off. 

This is where I will tell you that after living in Georgia, Mississippi, Florida with many trips to Europe and China; I can say poor is poor.  The houses along the rail line are lived in by the poor, the poor live like poor people do wherever you happen to be.  I am sure there are qualitative studies to show the difference of poor between America poor and China's but my view is they are all living to live.   

There are stops along the way that last 15-30 minutes. In China a stop for a major city do not last more than 5 minutes.  Even from Shanghai to Beijing there is no stopping to top off the locomotive fuel tanks like I did in Jacksonville.  The stations along this part of our country are right out  of a 1930 novel.  It is like time has stood still around the stations and that includes stations in cities like Orlando, Savannah and Jacksonville. 

The people are an eclectic group on board the train.  A South American family clearly traveling to Orlando from New York had limited English skills outside of their middle school daughter.  I was able to show the family on my phone where we were and our ETA to Orlando.  A couple of "rough looking" guys were trading stories when one admitted getting kicked off a greyhound bus and Amtrak was his last alternative.  I kept my distance form these two even though one clearly wanted to know my life story.   A couple of down syndrome adults joined the ride to Orlando in Palatka. They traveled with a caregiver.  The caregiver was assigned the seat next to me but she chose to stand next to her charges.  I kept wondering do I really intimidate people??? I was in awe how she talked with the two and soon realized this was just an overnight trip to Orlando with no amusement park visit.  The man seems to have clear rituals in his daily life and the two females kept comforting him and telling him all was going to be alright.  I figured out he could get over stimulated easily.  The girl was clearly in love with her man friend and the caregiver never stopped the kissing and love strokes she applied to his hair.  As if God was not teaching me enough about humanity the two "rough looking" guys came up and started to talk with the trio.  I felt ashamed that I sat there the whole trip and never started a discussion, never tried to make sure the caretaker was comfortable.  The two "rough guys" engaged the two and had them laughing and telling us all how they were in love. These two who I judged, made a chair in front of the handicap seats with their luggage so the caretaker could be comfortable. 

Here I sit minding my own business feeling like a jerk....

Do you have a trip to Miami, Savannah or Charleston planned? Take the train, I highly recommend it.  I learned a lot!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Muse over my grummpy thoughts and provide feedback so I know someone is reading this